Heywood Hospital Coding Specialists, Medical Records in Gardner, Massachusetts
Code/Abstract within 3M HDM systems
- CCS or CPC-H required, coding education from AAPC, AHIMA or equivalent accredited school preferably a two-year program or equivalent training and education in an acute care hospital setting.
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum of 2 years working with and knowledge of ICD-10 CM/PCS required
- Experience with CPT, HCPCS and outpatient coding and charging as well as Evaluation and Management Coding both professional and facility preferred
- Experience with computerized coding systems, CAC, abstracting/data entry
- Knowledge of NCCI edits, LCD’s, NCD’s and MUEs preferred
- Experience with using an EMR and paper records is required
- Ability to comprehend and accurately interpret all aspects of medical documentation as relative to coding needs.
- Aptitude for precise, complex and detailed clerical work is required.
- Ability to follow specific, detailed procedures and routines is mandatory.
Prolonged sitting 8 hours or more, using a keyboard, mouse and two monitors for long periods of time. Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, flexibility, concern for order, initiative, self-confidence, self control, customer service orientation, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork and information seeking.
Acquires the knowledge to keep up with changes in technology and regulations.
Meets or exceeds department productivity and quality of work standards.
Enters all codes into the Meditech EMR or other computerized medical record system, using 3M HD/360 Systems.
Accesses the proper account using the medical record number, account number, work list or other
Works with patient financial services to correct accounts identified as needing attention or correction.
Works with audits from payers to appeal requested DRG reassignment.
Collaborates with the Director of HIM, Assistant Manager or coding team to assess coding needs in areas when volume increases or decreases to keep accounts under the standard time frames, keep the DNFB and A/R at the acceptable levels flexing between inpatient and outpatient accounts as needed.
Shares knowledge and expertise to help others improve performance.
Continuously prioritizes projects, activities, and tasks to ensure deadlines and customer needs are met.
Reviews medical records to code accurately all diagnoses and/or procedures using coding guidelines.
Creates and runs a list of unbilled accounts on a weekly basis.
Utilizes the list of unbilled accounts to track electronically and if needed pulled manually, to attain the correct codes so the accounts can be billed and eliminated from the unbilled report.
Examines the medical record to ensure all needed information is present and maintains good communication with the physicians, Medical Records Staff, and personnel throughout the hospital so that coding can be done accurately and timely as needed without communication breakdowns.
Retrieves any missing documentation and information from physicians and other department’s prior completion of the coding process to ensure accurate MS-DRG. APR-DRG, OPPS or other payment system is maintained.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. MEDICAL REC.-,6240
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 624082800101
Position Hours: 40
Weekend Frequency: As Needed
Holiday Rotation: Yes
Job Title: Coding Specialists, Medical Records
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 02/23/2018