Beth Israel Lahey Health Registered dietician - Lifestyle Health in Burlington, Massachusetts
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Day (United States of America)
Under the general supervision of the Medical Director and in collaboration with the Clinical Services Manager, the Dietitian Specialist – Medical Weight Management Program assesses the nutritional status and plans nutritional intervention and care for patients in the Medical Weight Loss Center. Develops and promotes collaborative practice and collegial relationships with physicians and other disciplines as a member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team.
Potential for remote and in-person work.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Screens patient medical record and assesses patients within 24-48 hours of identification.
2) Utilizes the medical record to obtain pertinent objective data.
3) Completes a comprehensive assessment based on medical record data and/or interview with the patient/family or
other members of the healthcare team.
4) Calculates metabolic needs, ie energy, protein, fluid and other specific nutrients.
5) Recommends appropriate nutrition support based on subjective and objective data.
6) Assesses patients based on religious, cultural and ethnic beliefs.
7) Documents nutrition care plan within established time frame based on standards of care.
8) Documents desired outcomes specific to the individual patient problem(s), diagnosis (s), learning capabilities/limitations and progress towards established goals.
9) Documents care plan legibly and signs appropriately.
10) Requests from physicians additional data needed for thorough evaluations (i.e. lab values, urine collection, weight)
and adjusts nutrition care plan accordingly.
11) Executes nutrition interventions in accordance with the latest research in nutrition support, physiology and scientific knowledge.
12) Educates patients based on cultural, religious and ethnic beliefs.
13) Provides motivational education classes in a group setting
14) Individualizes patient education materials based on patient age and comprehension levels.
15) Documents education including evidence of family teaching (as applicable), measurable understanding of principles discussed and assessment of anticipated compliance.
16) Counsels patients on potential food/drug interactions with respect to coumadin, lithium and MAO Inhibitors.
17) Communicates nutrition care information when patients are transferred to the care of staff dietitians; remains available for staff consultation and input on the care of the patient following transition.
18) In the Ambulatory Clinic, evaluates appropriateness and effectiveness of therapy for patients receiving home nutrition support. Adjusts the nutrition prescription regimen as needed to meet patient’s nutritional requirements and re-educates patient/caretaker as indicated.
19) Documents all outpatient clinic visits in the clinic medical record.
20) Documents pertinent intervention information in patient’s HealthTouch for Nutrition Care Coordinators use.
21) Maintains accurate weekly productivity logs.
22) Precepts dietetic students.
23) Completes rotating consults within 24 hours.
24) Achieves and maintains Weight Management Certificate from the American Dietetic Assn (ADA) according to departmental standards. To be accomplished within one year of hire date.
25) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles and Mission Statement into daily activities.
26) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
27) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
28) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
29) Demonstrates an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
30) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to our Customer Service standards.
31) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
32) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
33) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Master’s Degree in Nutrition Science or Nutritional Education
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Knowledge and facility with the body of knowledge supporting clinical field.
Experience: 3 years of recent clinical experience in an acute care setting providing care to adult and geriatric patients with a minimum of 30% of that time spent in delivering nutrition support.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more (https://www.bilh.org/newsroom/bilh-to-require-covid-19-influenza-vaccines-for-all-clinicians-staff-by-oct-31) about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Beth Israel Lahey Health
- Beth Israel Lahey Health Jobs