Beth Israel Lahey Health Clinical Pharmacist in Burlington, Massachusetts
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Day (United States of America)
Supports the mission of the department by ensuing that the right patients receive the right medication in a safe and timely manner. Clinically reviews medication orders received from prescribers to ensure that the medication, as ordered, is safe to administer to the patient. If not, intervenes with the prescriber on behalf of the patient. Appropriately enters order into the Pharmacy Information System. Supervises pharmacy technician and interns to ensure that they daily needs of our patients are being met. Provides drug information to medical staff and patients upon request or when need is apparent. Performs in a leadership capacity by taking on added responsibility for an area, function, or specialty.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: including but not limited to:
1) Clinically reviews all medication orders to ensure that medications entered into the patients profiles are safe for administration.. Assessment should include, appropriate drug selection, medication allergy, dose, route of administration, diagnosis, relevant laboratory results, therapeutic duplication, drug interactions and age of patient.
2) Intervenes with appropriate health care professional when necessary, and documents clinical interventions consistent with departmental policy.
3) Appropriately enters reviewed orders into the Pharmacy Information system with attention being paid to how this medication will be administered by the nurse
4) Supervises pharmacy technician and interns to ensure that the daily needs of our patients are being met. Educate technician and interns as to safe medication practices.
5) Provides drug information to medical staff and patients upon request or when need is apparent. Documents request into the intervention database in accordance with departmental policy
6) Responsible for day-to-day management of drug distribution, including all controlled substances, IV medications, extemporaneously compounded medications, repackaged medications and investigational drugs.
7) Responsible for understanding and utilizing all technology to accomplish the above.
8) Serves as a liaison between pharmacy department and any health care provider
9) Pharmacists are responsible for their own professional development including, meeting all requirements for continuing and education, keeping abreast of current professional literature, both from a clinical and medication safety perspective.
10) Actively participates in continuous performance improvement activities of the department, including providing suggestions on how to improve day-to-day operations
11) Performs assigned projects in a efficient and timely manner
12) Demonstrates competency in all practice areas in which pharmacist duties are performed. Has completed all required departmental competency requirements.
13) Consistently performs in a leadership role. Is responsible for an area, function or specialty. Serves as a role model to other staff
14) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
15) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
16) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
17) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
18) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
19) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
20) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
21) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
22) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Must be a graduate of an accredited college of pharmacy with a current MA registration in Pharmacy.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Must possess a valid MA pharmacist license.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet the requirements of this job description.
Previous hospital pharmacy experience is preferred. Requires a working knowledge of all basic aspect of
health system pharmacy (including drug therapeutics).
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more (https://www.bilh.org/newsroom/bilh-to-require-covid-19-influenza-vaccines-for-all-clinicians-staff-by-oct-31) about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Beth Israel Lahey Health
- Beth Israel Lahey Health Jobs