VCA Assistant Hospital Manager in Brookline, Massachusetts
Company Info: VCA Inc. owns, operates, and manages the largest network of freestanding veterinary hospitals and veterinary clinical reference laboratories in North America, with over 900 hospitals located in the U.S. states and Canada, and more than 55 clinical laboratories. VCA is also a leading supplier of diagnostic imaging equipment to the veterinary industry, as well as operating a franchisor of premier dog daycare facilities.
If you are a current employee, you need to apply through our internal career site. Please log into Workday and click on the Career worklet on the landing page or search for Find Jobs. You can also copy the link below into a browser to apply through our internal career site:
VCA Brookline Animal Hospital is a fast-paced, multi-doctor small animal practice in Brookline, Massachusetts.
VCA Brookline Animal Hospital in Brookline, Massachusetts is seeking an Assistant Hospital Manager to join the team at our fast-paced, 6-doctor practice. The role demands a self-starter with the interpersonal and organizational skills to continue achieving our goals of delivering excellent patient care and customer service to both our clients and referring veterinarians.
The successful candidate will have experience in client service, strong communication and interpersonal skills and be tech savvy. Veterinary medical knowledge and background is a plus.
We have been an integral part of the Brookline community for over 30 years. Clients in Brookline and the surrounding communities have entrusted us to care for their pets due to our knowledgeable and skilled employees and doctors. At our top-notch medical facility, we treat dogs, cats and some pocket pets. Our experienced and knowledgeable medical team consisting of six veterinarians, 20 technicians and technician assistants, and 8 receptionists are fully trained on the latest veterinary medicine and procedures, ensuring our patients receive the best veterinary care in the industry.
At VCA Brookline Animal Hospital we provide primary care, surgery, diagnostic ultrasounds, and dental specialty services to approximately 6,000 pets annually. This high visibility hospital is a great opportunity for a veterinary professional wanting to take their career to the next level. This is an exciting, challenging, fast paced and fun opportunity to work with a great team!
Our practice is open 7 days a week, includes five exam rooms, a treatment area, a surgery suite, grooming and boarding. This role would require a flexible schedule, which would be agreed upon during the hiring process.
Brookline is centrally located right outside the heart of Boston. Brookline borders seven of Boston’s neighborhoods: Brighton, Allston, Chestnut Hill, Fenway-Kenmore, Mission Hill, Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury. Brookline is a great place to live and work, and we think you will agree, there is no shortage of fun in the area!
The Assistant Hospital Manager will perform a wide range of administrative and medical activities related to the practice. This includes: liaison between the Hospital Manager, team members, clients and patients, communication regarding appointments, using technology to text clients with updates and send photos of their pets when necessary, and supporting the hospital’s mission of delivering high quality patient care and exceptional client service.
• Direct and develop the veterinary, technical and administrative staff towards the goal of quality patient care and excellent client service; assist in the formulation of objectives and policies to ensure efficient and profitable hospital operations
• Assist in the hiring, reviewing, disciplining and terminating of professional staff, in accordance with and with the approval of the Regional Management team
• Assist in reviewing monthly financials with the Hospital Manager and Medical Directors to increase revenue and limit expenses; work with home office to prepare and submit the yearly budget (budget forecast, operating plan, cap-ex expenditures) and participate in the evaluation process with Regional Management team
• Model an “owner” mentality in hospital by demonstrating a willingness to assist all employees in making the practice a success; invest the necessary amount of time to accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth operation of the hospital
• Minimize patient stress and discomfort; recommend referral to another VCA doctor or specialist when likely to significantly improve the prognosis
• Maintain client/patient medical/surgical records and make certain all necessary logs are kept up-to-date through established protocols; assist colleagues in follow-up and future management of the patient
• Supervise the administration and case review of client medical complaints
• Positively represent the hospital and VCA in the professional community and to the general public
• 2 to 3 years of customer service and financial budget management experience
-Knowledge of veterinary industry (CVT or experienced technician) preferred
-Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially to a diverse range of audiences and settings
• The ability to make decisions, delegate responsibility and achieve results with hospital team members
• Professional comportment and appearance, with excellent interpersonal skills and a friendly, positive attitude
• Respect for and willingness to work with clients and their pets
• Must be able to handle multiple tasks and deal with an environment of changing priorities
We offer competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package, including: medical/dental/vision and paid vacation (for F/T employees only), 401(k), generous personal pet care discounts and more!
Benefits: We offer competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and paid vacation/sick days, 401(k), generous employee pet discounts and more!
The information in this position description indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, change in personnel, workload, or technical development).
VCA began in 1986 as a privately owned company with one animal hospital. Today, we are the largest family of animal care providers nationwide. Despite unprecedented growth, VCA has never abandoned its devotion to compassionate, comprehensive pet care. Take a look at our open positions throughout the U.S. and Canada! We’re always looking for top notch talent to join the VCA family!