Steward Health Care System MLT in Brockton, Massachusetts
*Job Summary: *Performs routine clinical laboratory analyses. Recognizes problems, identifies basic causes, and makes corrections by using present strategies. Correlates data based on knowledge of technical and instrumental conditions affective test results. Performs Quality Control procedures within predetermined parameters.
- Performs lab testing in the areas of Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Bloodbank and Coagulation.
- Checks the quality control of each test prior to running and reporting patient results.
- Calls worklists on the computer, does editing of results and data enters test results.
- Confirms abnormal results prior to releasing and bring any "rare and improbable" test results to the attention of a supervisor.
- Processes specimens and logs requisitions as needed.
- Reviews daily specimen management reports.
- Assists in maintaining an adequate inventory of supplies and ensures compliance with state requirements for documentation of lot numbers with quality control and specimen records.
- Troubleshoots problems (client, instrument, computer) as needed.
- Performs maintenance on the automated Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation and Urinalysis instrumentation as needed.
- Records the quality control and maintains the QC records on all assays performed.
- Data enters results into the computer.
- Ensures that QC is within appropriate limits and brings problems to supervisor.
- Reviews worklists and work from automated analyzers to ensure accuracy and timely reporting of patient results.
- Performs differentials and urine sediments as needed.
- Performs other tasks and procedures that are commensurate with education, training and abilities.
- Responsible for all clerical functions associated with specimen integrity, testing, identification and reporting of department testing.
- Follows all safety protocols as outlined in safety manual.
- Identifies and pursues self improvement needs
- Seeks coaching/mentoring when appropriate
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MT/MLT, HEW, ASCP or equivalent certification or eligibility required.
- Bloodbanking experience required.