Steward Health Care System Pharmacy Technician II-Pharmacy-Per Diem-Shifts As Need in Brighton, Massachusetts
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Working under the day to day supervision of the pharmacists and Pharmacy Leadership, the technician is responsible for the proper handling of medications. This includes but is not limited to: receiving, distribution, management of expiration dates, management of inventory in Pyxis, storage, repackaging, compounding, filling orders, delivering, and stocking. Additional and ongoing demonstration of intermediate skills in the practice of pharmacy as defined below are required. The job requires excellent communication skills and a desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
Works under the supervision of:
Career Ladder Criteria (as applicable by site)
Performs Hazardous Compounding
Performs batch sterility tests
Monitors at least one Key Performance Indicator or produces at least one Key Process Improvement
Assists in revising training materials
Demonstrates Intermediate skill performance by performing at least one of the following
Intermediate Purchasing Skills
Decentralized Pharmacy Services
• Assists with receiving order from wholesaler
• Scans in delivery
• Properly inventories/stickers delivery to ensure all items are received
Confirms that each med is “scannable”. Involves pharmacist when appropriate
Helps to maintain proper stock levels of drugs, supplies and solutions by Informing in writing, the need for an item when it is getting low
• Repackages medications from bulk to unit-dose when necessary
• Performs calculations for dosing, unit conversions, admixture volumes
• Prepares clean room and sterile products area for daily use
• Follows clean room policies and procedures
• Prepares low and medium risk sterile and non-sterile compounds
Complies with Universal precautions and uses Aseptic technique when compounding
• Checks expiration dates in and outside the department
• Credits and debits patients in Meditech if meds reordered or returned
• Resolves missing medication issues
Performs monthly floor inspections to ensure integrity of medications on the units and in patient care areas.
• Ensures all medications are properly labeled
• Properly disposes of medications, hazardous substances, sharps
• Properly identifies and returns expired meds eligible for credit
• Assists in semi-annual inventory activities as needed
Fills Medication Orders
Receives labels and orders, and is able to accurately select proper drug, dosage form and strength
• Accurately retrieves medications from ADC fill list
• Neatly organizes filled meds for checking.
• Accurately retrieves medications as requested at the window
Properly refills trays and kits including but not limited to: Code Trays, STEMI kits, anaphylaxis kits, “tackle boxes” in preparation for pharmacist to check.
• Accurately fills OR Machines
• Performs routine rounds to patient care areas and units in timely manner
Delivers meds to proper location including but not limited to: ADC, Med Room or a nurse if requested.
• Updates machines with current date for drug
• Outdates meds in ADC at each delivery to machine
• Returns meds from the floors when need
Fills Automated Dispensing Cabinet (ADC)
• Under stands process of loading and unloading
• Fills ADC accurately by consistent use of scanner when required
• Loads meds in a neat precise manner without overfilling pocket
• Is able to trouble shoot minor equipment issues with ADC
• Is able to reboot equipment as needed
• Uses exceptional customer service skills/communication to resolve issues
• Answers phones and triages phone calls that need a pharmacists
Communicates well with nursing and other staff outside of the pharmacy department
Maintains a high degree of professionalism within and outside the department
• Maintains excellent working relationships with others
• Dresses professionally
• Maintains a neat, clean and organized work area
Represents the Department of Pharmacy and acts as liaison if needed when outside the department
• Complies with HIPAA policies
• Supports the training of new staff
• Manages time effectively and prioritizes accordingly
Responsible for the daily accurate documentation of logs including but not limited to: refrigerators, hood cleaning, eye wash
• Reports any omissions or errors
Handle Controlled Substances
Understands the importance of excellent record keeping, accuracy and handoffs when dealing with Controlled Substances.
Immediately reports any concerns/discrepancies to pharmacist or supervisor
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
Knowledge and Skills
Written and oral communication skills
Basic math needed for compounding
Ability to work in a team environment
Ability to problem solve
Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients visitors and staff
Experience (Type & Length):
Certification/Licensure: Is responsible for maintaining licensure CPhT and State registration as required
Is responsible for completing all educational modules including but not limited to: Steward University
Performs Gloved finger-tip and media fill test as required.