Joslin Diabetes Center Nutrition Educator (Adult Diabetes) in Boston, Massachusetts
The Nutrition Educator provides state of the art diabetes self-management education (DSME) and nutrition education, in a variety of settings, to persons with diabetes (PWD) and their families/carepartners, helping to optimize their diabetes management. Collaborates with other educators in identifying needs, developing and providing clinical programs and services Participates in the development of education curricula and materials by writing original material and/or reviewing the work
of others. Promotes and disseminates quality diabetes and nutrition information to professionals and the public following established Clinic Division guidelines. Serves as a leader mentoring less experienced staff, dietetic interns and nutrition professionals
This position's hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am -5:00 pm but may be 10:30 am-6:00 pm (No weekends or holidays)
- Applies nutrition care process and DSME education of Persons with Diabetes (PWD) and
families, in a variety of settings, encouraging the team approach to diabetes management,
according to standards:
• Evaluate and assess patient’s management and training needs, self-care behaviors,
obstacles to successful implementation of therapy in a variety of settings.
• Develop individualized education and management plans to include appropriate
• Provide education on nutrition management and risk factor reduction.
• Facilitate communication between patient and providers as needed.
- Documents and processes medical records and billing according to Joslin Policy and Procedures:
• Accurately documents patient encounters in electronic medical record system.
• Documents according to the National Education Standards or Care and the American
Diabetes Association Education Recognized program standards.
• Appropriately bills and submits patient billing according to patient encounter and
Program Development and Implementation:
- Works directly with clinic and center staff to develop and implement clinical/education programs that service patients, professionals and the general public. Participates in outcome research of
education and clinical programs offered at the Center. Participates in the development of education curricula and materials by writing original material and/or reviewing the work of others.
- Participates in quality control/quality improvement activities within one’s scope of practice that promotes quality service.
Maintain Professional Growth and Development:
Maintains professional registration and certification. Stays up to date on current thought and research in diabetes, diabetes management, including diabetes technology devices and behavior change strategies ensuring that Joslin Education Services as well as one’s own professional services employs state-of-the-art care. Attend relevant conferences as staffing and budget allow.
Contributes to Center goals for outreach and increased visibility by maintaining active involvement in professional organizations (such as contributing to newsletters and articles, delivering lectures, and contributing to development and implementation of workshops).
May require some travel.
Other duties as assigned.
Bachelors degree in Nutrition or Dietetics, Masters degree preferred
Minimum three years ‘experience as a registered dietitian,
preferably one year in diabetes care and education/counseling of
patients with chronic disease
- Certified Diabetes Education Specialist strongly preferred (a
requirement, so if not currently a CDCES, must sit for exam within 6 months of eligibility)
Registered with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Massachusetts License
Certified Diabetes Education Specialist (CDCES) a plus
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications
Excellent written and oral communication – including public
- Must be detail oriented, with the ability to plan, organize, and
execute multiple responsibilities – through completion; Selfdirected
- Bilingual - ability to speak Spanish a plus
Requisition Number (add R/N and FY after populates): NR3391-21
External Company Name: Joslin Diabetes
External Company URL: http://www.joslin.harvard.edu/
Street: One Joslin Place