Steward Health Care System Medical Assistant-Ambulatory Care- 40 Hrs/Week- Day Shift in Bedford, Massachusetts
Please Note: This position will be located at Hanscom Air Force Base in Bedford, MA
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for
Medical Assistant, 40 hrs/week, Day Shift (8:30AM to 5PM), No Weekends
I. Position Function:
Under the direction of the Clinical Practice Manager , this position is responsible for working collaboratively with all members of the health care team to provide quality care; for taking and documenting vital signs; for assisting professional care givers in providing excellent care to patients in an ambulatory setting; for scheduling patient appointments at St. Elizabeth’s Health Care at Brighton Marine and Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center; checking patients in/out; processing all necessary appointment paperwork; responding to telephone inquiries; working with the electronic health record (EHR) and ensuring the referral process is implemented and followed as appropriate.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
2) Responsible for scheduling and recording appointments, and maintaining appropriate files.
3) Answers telephones, routes calls, takes messages, and provides information to callers in a polite and professional manner, following the CSEMC Service Excellence Standards.
4) Creates, copies, and distributes provider schedules to appropriate parties. Creates multiple provider schedules for front desk use.
5) Prepares charts and other pertinent data for provider appointments; manages patient flow.
6) Scans medical information in EHR, sends messages, retrieves faxes and utilizes all other functions of the EHR.
7) For walk-ins, creates appointment, obtains and prepares chart if necessary, ensures all information is in the EHR, and checks patients in.
8) Explains and distributes HIPAA information and Health Care Proxies to patients, as appropriate.
9) Runs no-show/past pending report at end-of-day. Creates and sends no-show/cancellation letters, as appropriate.
10) If necessary, collects co pays before visit, encounter forms at end-of-day, tallies forms, and gives to Clinical Practice Manager or designee.
11) Locates Provider and/or nurse in case of emergency.
12) Estimates and maintains supplies, equipment and linen for work area and notifies Clinical Practice Manager or designee of any shortages.
13) Requests x-rays and charts from other locations if necessary.
14) Responsible for completing referral forms as appropriate for provider and/or Clinical Practice Manager or designee.
15) Maintains high degree of accuracy in all areas of responsibility.
16) Participates in orientation and training of other Ambulatory Care Coordinators or Medical Assistants in the department.
17) Arrives at the health center on time and appropriately dressed for work every day.
18) Informs Clinical Practice Manager or designee of any problem/issue relating to all areas of responsibility as appropriate.
19) Functions in the role of Medical Assistant on the health care team as assigned by the Clinical Practice Manager or designee.
20) Reports significant observations and patient problems to professional care givers.
21) Maintains confidentiality of patients' records and issues; treats patients and families with respect.
22) Responsible for patient follow up of tests in the EHR and maintaining appropriate files.
23) Performs quality control, terminal cleaning and follows infection control guidelines; practices and adheres to Standard Precautions.
24) Follows JCAHO policies and procedures and the National Patient Safety Goals
25) Cross trains to other areas of the Health Center, as appropriate.
26) Performs other functions and duties, such as using bi- lingual skills to interpret for Providers and staff, which impact and contribute to providing quality patient care.
27) Performs other related duties as requested by the Clinical Practice Manager or designee.
28) Takes vital signs, EKGs, chief complaints etc. and documents all, including medications, in the EHR.
29) Prepares the patient and equipment; chaperoning female patients as needed.
30) Cleans instruments and equipment, as needed; maintains a clean, orderly, and safe environment.
31) Performs phlebotomy as necessary.
32) Attends in service programs appropriate to clinical areas.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports in verbal and/or written form to the Clinical Practice Manager or designee at the Health Center on all issues related to department operations, any change in patient condition, any broken equipment, and all incidents and breaches in quality care.
Responsible to document all patient care activities performed.
Accountable for meeting the departmental goals and objectives set and agreed to by the Health Center as related to clinic operations.
Accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital policies and procedures.
Accountable for maintaining confidentiality and security of all patient data and information.
Accountable for maintaining confidentiality of computer ID codes and following HIPAA guidelines.
Accountable for accurately maintaining patient/provider appointment schedules.
Accountable for accurate preparation of patient records.
Accountable for all patient care activities performed.
Accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
High school diploma or equivalent
College degree preferred
Successful completion of Medical/Nursing Assistant Program or comparable work experience.
Three to five years experience in a health care and/or office setting.
Previous Medical Assistant or Nursing Assistant experience preferred.
Previous experience in a health care setting as a Medical Assistant or a comparable position preferred.
Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral communication skills.
Accuracy and attention to detail, legible handwriting, telephone, typing and computer skills.
Ability to work in a fast paced and demanding environment.
-Able to remain calm in stressful situations, set priorities, achieve deadlines, and work effectively with patients/members.
Knowledge of medical terminology also preferred.
Ability to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
Ability to complete mathematical computations required to perform tasks.
Ability to lift, transfer, and move patients.
Graduate of Medical Assistant Program
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled