Heywood Hospital Ultrasound Tech, Ultrasound in Athol, Massachusetts
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Accredited School of Ultrasound Technology
- ARDMS Required, or equivalent or licensure within 1 year of employment date
- Specialized training in Ultrasound
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Basic computer knowledge.
Exerts 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands). Occasionally stoop (bending the body downward and forward by bending the spine at the waist), crouches (bending the body downward and forward by bending legs and spine), and feels (perceiving attributes of items as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of the fingertips).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Conducts interactions with everyone in a friendly, courteous and respectful manner.
- Goes out of his/her way to offer assistance to others. If he/she cannot offer assistance, then finds someone who can.
- Advocates to ensure privacy and confidentiality while helping others to maintain awareness.
- Maintains a clean and safe hospital.
- Responds appropriately and immediately in emergency situations.
- Maintains a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors, and/or staff to provide the highest level of physical comfort, and minimize risk and injury.
- Ensures compliance with regulations to maintain accreditation and licensure.
- Complies with the Hospital Attendance and Tardiness Policy.
- Completed all Hospital and Department Specific Mandatory requirements in the prior calendar year.
- Reports Incidents in a timely and effective manner.
- All employees with direct patient contact are responsible for actively engaging in the practice of, monitoring and enforcing compliance to hand hygiene.
- Assures that all Ultrasound images are of optimum diagnostic quality so that radiologist can make an accurate interpretation of the images.
- Follows pre-determined image criteria to assess images to determine that all images include all required measurements, volumes, heart rates and anatomical information.
- Assures all images include all required demographic information, charts, graphs, measurements and that the images are of diagnostic quality.
- Operates all diagnostic ultrasound processing and printing equipment to create a quality final image and ensures all required data is on the final printed data sheet.
- Operates ultrasound equipment and selects the correct computer and technical factors.
- Properly operates image processors and printers to ensure diagnostic quality images.
- Assesses patients to ensure optimum selected technical techniques are used.
- Utilizes pre-determined techniques, appropriate gains, transducers and technical factors to optimize image.
- Utilizes equipment settings and a variety of positioning techniques.
- Reviews physician orders for accuracy prior to start of examination to ensure that the appropriate exam is completed.
- Coordinates a review of the requisition/order to determine that the correct examination has been ordered based on the clinical history provided.
- Documents on the requisition that the technologist has reviewed the order.
- Completes patient orders and charges, ensures exams are scheduled, ensures film accuracy and patient information so that proper records can be maintained.
- Accurately enters orders and charging procedures into the Meditech Computer System.
- Coordinates the daily schedule, operates the computer scheduling of exams, enters patient information into the Meditech Computer System.
- Operates the hospital computer system for film releases to ensure accuracy for film library staff.
- Coordinates daily work schedule and patient flow to ensure exams are completed on a timely basis.
- Properly positions patients to ensure all exams are of optimum quality.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients by assuring that sharp objects, toxic substances and other objects potentially harmful to children are not accessible.
- Assures that the environment of care or services is free of objects which may contribute to the likelihood of patient falls, slips or trips. Makes readily available assistive devices for ambulation. Complies with policies and procedures relating to gait belts and similar devices.
- Is aware of the increased risk of falls, slips, and trips for elderly patients and visitors, and assures that the environment of care or services is free of objects and spills which may contribute to the likelihood of patient falls, slips, or trips.
- Is sensitive to the tendency of older patients to have hearing difficulties. Verifies that he or she is speaking with appropriate level of loudness so that the patient hears instructions, questions, and conversations with caregiver, but that offense is not given to the patient as the result of the voice being excessively loud.
- Is able to differentiate problems with hearing versus problems with comprehension.
- Correctly interprets verbal and nonverbal response to pain. Takes appropriate action to minimize the patient’s level of pain by utilizing various pain management techniques and methods.
- Takes appropriate actions to assure physical security of children and complies with policies and procedures related to the prevention of neonate, infant and child abduction.
- Is aware of reduced endurance and strength present in many elderly, and provides accommodation for seating during extended interviews, discussions with secretaries, receptionists and other clerical personnel, or when the patient is waiting for transportation.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Athol Hospital
Department: AMH ULTRASOUND-,16580
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 16580203
Position Hours: Day limited on call
Shift: Per Diem
Weekend Frequency: On Call Rotation
Job Title: Ultrasound Tech, Ultrasound
Location: Athol, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 04/02/2018