Heywood Hospital Safety Specialist, 2nd FL Med/Surg in Athol, Massachusetts
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Minimum Work Experience
- Mental/Behavioral Health experience preferred.
- CNA, EMT, Security experience preferred.
Minimum Licenses and Certifications
- AHA Heartsaver CPR required within three months of hire.
- Obtain Crisis Avoidance Training (CAT) within three months of hire.
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work in stressful situations, ability to take direction, and excellent observational skills are required
- Willingness to do limited hands on care
- Experience with patient care and a desire to work on a Mental Health Unit or other units as needed.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Works together with departmental and healthcare teams to complete assignments
- Maintains a clean and comfortable environment for patients and visitors
- Prevents potential safety hazards from occurring by removing or arranging for the removal of safety hazards from the environment immediately
- Prioritizes and reprioritizes work based on the changing needs of the customers
- Ensures the safety of patients
- Performs patient checks, and documents the whereabouts of all patients every thirty minutes or more frequently if requested
- Accounts for all patients' locked belongings and sharps, ensuring they are signed out and back in by the end of the shift
- Responds to patient and visitor needs, as well as, provides information and refers matters of concern to staff
- Provides input and patient information to the team that contributes to the safety needs, development, and implementation of the patient care plan
- Delivers trays to patients and monitors patient meals
- Assists patients in completing menus and obtaining additional nutritional needs
- Performs room safety check and completes required documentation
- Provides specialized suicide watch to patients needing it to ensure their safety
- Maintains and promotes therapeutic milieu to enhance patients' care of plan and treatment
- Encourages patient conversations, participation in therapy and inter-patient relationships while observing behaviors
- Acts as a liaison between patients and staff by providing information on patient behaviors to ensure patient safety, as well as, enhance care planning and treatment
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Athol Hospital
Department: AMH 2ND FL MED/SURG,16383
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 16383506
Position Hours: Per diem
Shift: All Shifts
Weekend Frequency: Per policy
Holiday Rotation: Per policy
Job Title: Safety Specialist, 2nd FL Med/Surg
Location: Athol, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 10/06/2020