Heywood Hospital Medical Assistant, Heywood Medical Group in Athol, Massachusetts
Under the direction of Management, Physician and/or Nursing, incumbent is responsible for assisting with patient care and medical office clinical support and clerical functions. Clinical duties include: Scheduling tests, obtaining and recording patient health information, including vitals and injections and rooming patients; performing in office testing, supporting providers; performing tasks /schedule management to help providers run on time; bucket management, schedule review; materials management and any other duties and locations as assigned. Must learn and perform new standards and processes as they are implemented and participate in customer service and patient satisfaction initiatives. Complete any assigned training. Perform phlebotomy services and administer vaccines. Clerical duties include: Answering phones, appointment scheduling, providing patient education. For complete description see below.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Completion of accredited program in Medical Office Assisting (MOA) at an accredited school, or relevant job experience preferred.
- CMA/RMA or equivalent required. (Candidates with appropriate training or experience can obtain certification within six months of employment).
Minimum Work Experience
- Experience in a medical office preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills preferred.
- Proficiency with computers and electronic medical records is required.
- Ability to work flexible shifts, evening, and weekends required.
- Reliable transportation for travel between locations required.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Conducts interactions with everyone in a friendly, courteous and respectful manner.
- Goes out of his/her way to offer assistance to others. If he/she cannot offer assistance, then finds someone who can.
- Advocates to ensure privacy and confidentiality while helping others to maintain awareness.
- Maintains a clean and safe practice and hospital.
- Responds appropriately and immediately in emergency situations.
- Maintains a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors, and/or staff to provide the highest level of physical comfort, and minimize risk and injury.
- Ensures compliance with regulations to maintain accreditation and licensure.
- Complies with the Heywood Healthcare Attendance and Tardiness Policy.
- Completed all Heywood Healthcare and Department Specific Mandatory requirements in the prior calendar year.
- Reports Incidents in a timely and effective manner.
- All employees with direct patient contact are responsible for actively engaging in the practice of, monitoring and enforcing compliance to hand hygiene.
- Provides patient care by assisting with implementation of care plans. Assesses health status, documents interventions and evaluates patient progress following standard procedures.
- Performs basic office laboratory procedures such as urinalysis, urine culture, hematocrit, sed rate, mono spot, pregnancy tests, throat cultures and related procedures.
- Performs basic clinical procedures such as venipuncture/phlebotomy. Prepares documents and administers vaccines/non-intravenous injections as directed.
- Performs a variety of clerical functions to support office such as typing, filing, scheduling appointments, making phone calls and related duties as required or directed.
- Coordinates patient flow and prepares patient for examination. Takes and records vital signs and EKG’s. Documents intake assessment. Assists physician and others in clinical procedures as required or directed.
- Assist in triaging medical calls as per office protocol. Returns patient calls and documents in patient record as required or directed. Calls in prescriptions and refills as directed. Document prescription calls.
- Reviews laboratory results. Ensures abnormal results are brought to the attention of the physician and others as appropriate.
- Maintains records, reports, logs and other statistical information as required or directed.
- Processes Medical Records incoming and outgoing according to practice guidelines and regulations.
- Schedules and coordinates patient visits and medical procedures, for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Registers patients for each patient visit, utilizing computer based registration/scheduling system.
- Verifies patients insurance coverage and eligibility.
- Maintains assigned office and/or clinical supplies including vaccines. Assures accurate inventory of supplies based on approved levels. Rotates stock as required. Initiates requisitions for re-supply or special items.
- Issues and verifies patients managed care referral.
- Collects copays from patients for visits, maintains records and reconciles daily deposits.
- Completes tasks associated with clinical inbox/ practice buckets (personal, practice referral, medical record and others assigned) proficiently and in a timely manner.
- Instruments and equipment are prepared and sterilized according to procedure to support infection control.
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, and seminars as required or directed.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Demonstrates use of quality improvement in daily operations.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes in maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Provide coverage when needed at other locations within Heywood Medical Group.
- All other duties and locations as assigned.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Medical Group
Department: ATHOL PRIM. CARE, 27775
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 2002.70160.5025
Position Hours: 40
Job Title: Medical Assistant, Heywood Medical Group
Location: Athol, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 01/31/2021