Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Health Technician in Worcester, Massachusetts
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1983434
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The Healthcare System serves over 25,000 patients at its main campus and six community-based outpatient clinics in Central and Western Massachusetts. Core missions are primary care, mental health inpatient and outpatient care, and extended care. The Medical Center is engaging employees in a 'Culture of Improvement', utilizing a variety of Process Improvement techniques to improve efficiency of clinical operational functions to the benefit of veterans and staff.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitionsdocument.
The Telehealth Clinical Technician (TCT) serves in a generalist role to support and manage telehealth clinical encounters from the patient and provider location as the site Telepresenter, imager for telehealth store and forward applications, clinic manager for real time telehealth events, including patient education activities, technical and scheduling activities, and other program support duties, as assigned.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Telehealth imaging, including pre-retinal screening, tele-dermatology, telewound care imaging, and other telehealth programming as technology becomes available, as identified and referred by the primary care provider, other providers, and the imager.
- Provide administrative support for telehealth programs.
- Responsible for the patient site clinical, business, scheduling, and technical aspects for real-time telehealth applications including all specialty and primary care telehealth encounters (clinical video, imaging, and support of home telehealth).
- Installs, maintains, inventories, and trains staff on all video-conferencing technologies, telehealth peripherals including stethescopes, otoscopes, ultrasound, Doppler's technology and scheduling software used to coordinate, manage resources, and connect staff, resources, patients, and other providers in the manner effective to delivery of services, patient care, education, and training.
- Open telehealth patient room, readies the equipment for the examination, training, education, access, and establishes the online, video conferencing, or other connections.
- Documents patient reminders, clinical reminders, clinical interaction and doses encounters, answering questions, and performing other duties as needed to ensure a beneficial visit, online activity and/or training and support of the PACT team.
- Provides general clerical/administrative support coordination work for the unit. Managers administrative functions for the office.
Work Schedule: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Position Description Title/PD#: 631-00064A
This vacancy is located at the Lake Ave Community-based Outpatient clinic in Worcester, MA.
- 25% or Greater
- Occasional travel greater then 25% will be required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- 1 year equivalent to at least next lower grade level.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- This position does not require the filing of a financial disclosure.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-05) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.
Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to:
- Documenting clinical interactions and closing encounters, answering questions, and performing other duties as needed to ensure a beneficial visit.
- Cleaning, performing routine minor maintenance, and requesting service for medical technology; utilizing technical support to troubleshoot and upgrade telehealth technologies.
- Reviewing encounter forms to ensure completion.
- Coordinating information between facilities to promote and ensure maximum of continuity of care; is point of contact for both outpatient and inpatient referrals requiring health services.
- Scheduling and managing multi-point CVT calls for clinical patient care.
Substitution of Education: Directly related graduate education (at least 9 semester hours) or an internship. You must submit unofficial transcripts with your application.
As a general rule, education is not creditable above GS-5; however, graduate education may be credited in those few instances where the graduate education is directly related to the work of the position. A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at the GS-06 level.To calculate, first identify the percentage of required education you have earned (when substituting, you cannot use the first 60 semester hours that you earned). Then identify the percentage of required experience you possess. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify at the GS-06. For example, an applicant who has 9 semester hours of graduate level education (i.e. 50% of graduate education required) and 6 months of creditable specialized experience (i.e. 50% of the required experience) would equal 100% of the required experience for the position
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. Ensure the transcript submitted clearly displays your name, the name of school/institution, program of study, and coursework with grades.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:The work is primarily sedentary but also requires some standing, walking, bending, lifting, and carrying of light items. The work requires above average agility and dexterity. The work may require heavy lifting of equipment or assisting patients.
Time-in-grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-06 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-05 level.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan CTAP)provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
[Optional paragraph] Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
[Optional paragraph]*Placement Policy:* The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474133500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-14 to 2017-07-29
Salary: $40,324 to $52,426 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Series: 0640 Health Aid And Technician
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: TK-17-CLA-1983434-BU
Control number: 474133500