State of Massachusetts Licensed Practical Nurse I in Taunton, Massachusetts
This position is located in Taunton, Southeastern MA.
The Department of Developmental Services (DDS) seeks compassionate nursing professionals for our LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE I (LPN I) positions. This is an excellent entry level nursing opportunity for potential candidates who are interested in furthering their career and broadening their nursing experience to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The in-house LPN I will participate in the delivery of health care services to individuals as a unit assigned clinical nurse, and will participate in direct and indirect nursing care, health maintenance and collaborative planning in order to meet the health care needs of all residents.
The LPN I is the first level in the series and candidates will deliver care to individuals living in a facility setting. Our LPN's are an extremely important part of our team, developing relationships and working not only with our individuals, but family members, significant others, and other appropriate parties in order to improve the overall health/quality of living for those assisted by the agency.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
• Provide exceptional nursing care and oversight including the evaluation of
episodic health needs through assessment, continuous observation,
evaluation of interventions and changes within the health care plan if
desired outcomes are not achieved
• Administer medications and treatments in accordance with medical provider
orders and established policies and procedures
• Safeguard the security of controlled substances as per policies and
procedures in order to prevent drug tampering or diversion
• Monitor condition of equipment functionality and ensure availability of
supplies and medications
• Perform all clinical tasks in adherence to acceptable standards of nursing
practice to ensure that all delivery of care provided is safe and effective
• Assist in the planning, coordinating and implementation of care for acutely ill
or injured individuals; Function as a first responder in an emergency or crisis
• Articulate health care needs to the residents as a member of the
interdisciplinary team including participation in team meetings, attending the
annual ISP meeting, developing risk management protocols and completing
• Collect, communicate and record data regarding health and functional status
of the resident by interview, examination and review of record; identify actual
or potential health care needs
• Determine decisions made within the assigned area; appropriately seek
supervisory assistance or guidance when needed including administrative
issues and evolving clinical presentations
• Communicate health care needs and concerns to staff, families, and
guardians regarding changing health care needs
• Facilitate and develop training to staff through informal teaching and case
management review in order to ensure that residents are provided with
safe/effective overall health care
• Serve as an advocate promoting autonomy, treating all with respect, dignity
Must possess a current, active license to practice as an LPN in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts;
Must possess current and valid Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
Incumbents must obtain and maintain Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a respectful, caring, tolerant,
ethical, and empowering relationship with individuals with intellectual and
• Capacity to assist/lift individuals with physical disabilities and/or limited
• Knowledge of standard nursing policies, procedures, methods and
• Capacity to maintain accurate records and exercise discretion in handling
• Familiarity with safety practices and medical terminology/abbreviations;
• Aptitude to transcribe, read and comprehend the English language;
This position is in a program that operates 24-hours/7 days a week. The Department of Developmental Services requires employees in this position to be able to perform mandatory overtime when circumstances dictate the need.
This position is designated as an "EMERGENCY" position in the Department of Developmental Services Emergency Plan. This means that whenever the Governor declares that the Commonwealth is in a state of emergency, you will be required to report to work.
About the Agency:
The Department of Developmental Services is dedicated to creating, in partnership with others, innovative and genuine opportunities for individuals with intellectual disabilities to participate fully and meaningfully in, and contribute to, their communities as valued members.
A criminal background check (CORI) will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. In addition, Chapter 234 of the Acts of 2014, An Act Requiring National Background Checks, requires the Department of Developmental Services to conduct fingerprint-based check of the state and national criminal history databases on the recommended candidate. For more information please visit:
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division's Hiring Guidelines.
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Record Law and may be published on the Commonwealth's website.
Full-time 40 hours weekly,
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday 6:30 am to 3:00 pm
Days off: Thursday and Friday
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: None. (See Section XIII, Special Requirements.)
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a current and valid license as a practical nurse under the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Medical Services
Organization: *Department of Developmental Services
Title: Licensed Practical Nurse I
Location: Massachusetts-Taunton - Res 6197
Requisition ID: 170003TY