NXStage Medical Inc. Lead Nurse in Norwood, Massachusetts
The Lead Nurse will perform all procedures of dialysis and related patient care and participates in the training program for home dialysis and self-care dialysis patients.
The Lead Nurse will provide chronic dialysis care and treatment, training and education, evaluate and assess patients, communicate with physicians and other members of the interdisciplinary team to interpret, adjust and complete patient assessments and treatment
plans. He/she will teach skills, techniques, and procedures and will assist in research studies as needed.
The Lead Nurse is responsible for supervising, educating and evaluating the clinical team (RN/LPN/Patient Care Technician). The Lead Nurse will assist and support the Center Director and team in achieving quality, patient satisfaction, staff development, business
management, teamwork, and culture and employee satisfaction. He/she is responsible for understanding, supporting, interpreting, and implementing the policies of the NxStage Kidney Care center.
• Coordinates and supervises patient care and daily operations of patient care in the dialysis facility and after hours call.
• Supports the Center Director in achieving quality care and patient satisfaction goals for the facility.
• Supervises and monitors care and training delivered to the patients by ensuring clinical staff (RN, LPN, PCT) perform all aspects of the patient care in accordance with the Center’s policy and procedures as well as regulations set forth by state and federal
• Clinical supervision of the team performing direct patient care and treatments.
• Clinical supervision of the team, all patient care and the training/education of home patients and their families/caregivers on performing a safe dialysis treatment and the operation and maintenance of their assigned dialysis equipment for the home modality
• Ensures all staff has completed orientation and training per policy and documentation is completed as required
• In conjunction with the Center Director, utilizes the performance appraisal system to motivate and develop employees.
• Always treats staff with respect and courtesy.
• Participates in Chronic Kidney Disease education for pre-dialysis patients and their families/care partners.
• Will be available to assist as needed with 24/7 on–call services for home dialysis patients.
• Observation and evaluation of the ability and performance of patients in the home program and recommendations to ensure high quality and safe performance before a patient is released to function independently in the home environment.
• Delivery of individualized age specific care to assigned patients as prescribed, including all aspects of the dialysis procedure specifically trained to perform in accordance to state licensure.
• Maintaining frequent contact with in-home patients by telephone, home visit and doctor’s appointments.
• Assists with ordering and management of center and home patient supplies.
• Obtains blood samples and other specimens as ordered. Interprets results and intervenes appropriately as applicable.
• Available to assist with lab draws, water sampling, equipment swaps, troubleshooting of equipment, and monitoring and assisting with tasks related to the dialysis treatment within the patient home as needed.
• Delivers supplies and equipment to patient homes as needed
• Obtains, writes, transcribes and notes physician’s orders as needed and follows through appropriately.
• Initiates, monitors, and discontinues dialysis treatments according to established procedures.
• Establishes priorities of care, both emergent and non-emergent.
• Performs and assists in all emergency operational procedures.
• Administers and documents medications as authorized by a physician and as further authorized or limited by the State Board of Nursing Practice.
• Obtains blood samples and other specimens as ordered. Interprets results and intervenes appropriately when applicable.
• Maintains a safe environment for self, patients, and staff by following Universal Infection Control Precautions and cleaning procedures.
• Actively participates in staff meetings and in-services; assists in QAPI meeting and CQI projects with the team.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Desk duties, including computer keyboard operations.
• Moderate active work; including occasional lifting and carrying; walking and standing for considerable lengths of time, ability to perform patient care.
• Talking and listening to communicate ideas or requirements to individual staff members, and effectively educate patients and staff.
• Visual acuity to prepare and read written material accurately.
• Audio acuity to listen attentively and accurately.
• Ability to push, pull, mobilize (with assistance of wheels, carts, and other equipment) approximately 200 lbs.
• Ability to work overtime as needed to complete general responsibilities.
• Full use of all extremities with hand dexterity.
• Ability to travel when necessary to meet the needs of the patients, the unit and corporation.
Education & Qualifications:
• Graduate from an accredited school of nursing.
• Current active RN state licensure
• Certification in Nephrology Nursing preferred
• Have at least 12 months of experience in clinical nursing, an additional 6 months of experience in providing nursing care to patients on maintenance dialysis, and an additional 3 months of experience in the specific modality for which the nurse will provide
• ICU/CCU experience desirable.
• Current CPR Healthcare Recognition according to the American Heart Association desired.
• Computer skills and knowledge needed.
• Valid driver’s license and insurance when using automobile to travel for business purposes, ability to travel.