Lowell Community Health Center Registered Nurse- Part-Time in Lowell, Massachusetts
*Position Purpose: *Under general supervision, provides nursing and health care services to individuals and families in an outpatient primary care environment with assignments in adult medicine. Responsible for the management, provision, and evaluation of nursing care in their center area of assignment. Assist with telephone and face-to-face patient communications, physical exams, lab testing, patient education. Responds to patient needs and assures health care services for patients and families are reflective of Lowell Community Health Center mission and values. Incumbent works as part of the nursing team and assists in the continuity of medical/health care for patients.
- Provide high quality, timely telephone triage for urgent sick-visit requests from patients. Retrieve communications and respond to telephone calls and Telephone Encounters within a 30-60 minute timeframe according to medical priority. Follow clinical guidelines, use critical thinking and clinical judgment to assess urgency and to determine appropriate level of care needed to maintain patient safety. Respond appropriately within skill level and documented health center policies and, when appropriate, seek assistance from charge nurse, nurse manager or provider. Assist patient in obtaining the appropriate appointment, as needed. Consult Lowell CHC’s chosen Adult Telephone Protocols guideline during triage process. Record and maintain complete and accurate records of patient-nurse communications regarding advice given and patient’s understanding of plan of care.
- Assists with provision of care that includes treatment, teaching and counseling.
- Recognizes and interprets symptoms of patient’s conditions and reports to appropriate health care provider.
- Provides direct nursing services to patients and their families. These services include, but are not exclusive to:
- nursing assessment
- nursing intervention/referral
- health care education
- Assesses patients’ needs based upon evaluation of current functioning and strengths, review of previous health/medical plan of care, and medications. This includes support system being utilized, vocational status, and identification of any special needs (i.e. physical, emotional, or substance abuse/psychiatric history)
- Able to Prepares patients for examination:
- completes history, reviews systems , and current physical health status
- takes B/P, weight, height, temperature, other measurements and/or vitals as appropriate to complete health assessment
- performs vision and hearing screenings if appropriate
- obtains urine, sputum specimens as appropriate
- complete laboratory /radiology imaging reconciliation
- administers appropriate immunizations and injections
- Maintains clinical logs for central area
- Develops a system for summarizing clinical and laboratory data for evaluation and planning purposes, and quality assurance
- Assists with the planning and implementation of educational programs for patients and families to increase awareness of relevant medical conditions, decrease risk-behaviors, and increase responsibility for self-care.
- Attends and participates in in-service education programs for staff, quality assurance programs, and risk-management programs
1.Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing 2.Registered Nurse License in the state of MA 3.Current CPR 4.Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Other Job Information (if applicable):
Part-Time: 24-36 hours/week. Rotating evenings and weekends.
Job Code: 2017-2148-012
FT/PT Status: Regular P/T (24-39 hrs/wk), Pro-Rated Benefits
Location: 135 Jackson Street, Lowell, MA