Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advanced Medical Support Assistant in Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1940366
* This announcement is a standing register. The cut-off date dates to have application materials submitted for consideration to this announcement will be:
July 3, 2017 July 17, 2017
** U.S. citizens and other current permanent Federal employees of other agencies should apply to Vacancy Announcement Number: TK-17-CLA-1973474-BU.
Current GS-6 Advanced MSA VA employeesshould contact Human Resources directly to be considered for a reassignment.*
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The Healthcare System serves over 25,000patients at its main campus and six community based outpatient clinics in Central and Western Massachusetts.Core missions are primary care, mental health inpatient and outpatient care,and extended care. The Medical Center is engaging employees in a 'Culture of Improvement', utilizing a variety of Process Improvement techniques to improve efficiency of clinical operational functions to the benefit of veterans and staff. **VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Work Schedule: Varies based on assignment
Functional Statement Title:Advanced Medical Support Assistant
This is the Advanced level of the position. The incumbent serves as an Advanced Medical Support Assistant (AMSA) assigned to a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) model or a Specialty Care setting involved in PACT model, Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC), Telephone Call Center, or Inpatient, Outpatient Clinic. The PACT teamlet is a primary care team that generally consists of a primary care provider (MD, NP, PA), registered nurse care manager, clinical associate (LPN or medical assistant, health technician) and an administrative associate (MA, MSA, health technician).
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- English Language Proficiency. MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English
- Experience/Education. Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; OR Education. One year above high school; OR Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. *Grade Determinations:*Applicant must have one year of experience to the GS-05 grade level. GS-05 level experience includes: Scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments and/or consults; entering no-show information; monitoring the electronic wait list; preparing for clinic visits; monitoring both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility; ensuring encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit; verifying and updating demographics and insurance information; processing all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA facilities or private hospitals; performing basic eligibility, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage (i.e. TRICARE, sharing agreements, etc.).
Applicant must also demonstrate the below KSAs:
- Ability to collaborate, communicate, set priorities, and organize the work in order to meet deadlines, ensuring compliance with established processes, policies, and regulations
- Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to meet program objectives. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational levels
- Advanced knowledge of the technical health care process as it relates to access to care
- Advanced knowledge of managing a clinic. This includes independently utilizing reference sources, decision making, and empowering the team to collaborate and resolve problems within a complex systems environment
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with operational activities that affect the patient flow, patient care, and the revenue process
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology due to the technical nature of language utilized by clinicians References: VA Handbook 5005/53 Part II Appendix G45. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
*Physical Requirements: *Position is subject to a pre-employment physical and medical examination. This position requires: Light lifting under 25 pounds; light carrying under 25 pounds; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; walking (8 hours); standing (8 hours); repeated bending (1 hour); and hearing (aid permitted); working closely with others; working alone; protracted or irregular hours of work, and occasional emotional strain.
This position does not require filing of a Financial Disclosure Statement
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472371300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
- Additional Duty Location Info
Additional Duty Location Info
Many vacancies in the following locations
- Fitchburg, MA
- Greenfield, MA
- Northampton, MA
- Pittsfield, MA
- Springfield, MA
- Worcester, MA
Salary Range: $36,862.00 to $52,773.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0679-06/06
Promotion Potential: 06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Internal facility employees and VA nationwide applicants
Control Number: 472371300
Job Announcement Number: TK-17-CLA-1940366-BU-OCA