Mears Group, Inc. Field Safety Manager in Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Function, Focus & Reporting
- Position will report to the VP Safety or other assigned department senior manager.
- Ensure the health and safety of the workers but also of the workplace, environment and general public.
- Inspect the workplace for and identify potential hazards, assess the risks, report potential hazards, and take appropriate action.
- Investigate incidents to identify their causes and find ways to prevent them in the future.
- Ensure the organization is compliant with legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Conduct regulatory and procedural training.
- Provide guidance and coaching to field employees.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with central leadership, regional operations and teams to ensure safety strategies and programs align with corporate expectations and policies.
- Assist in the response and correction of significant safety events such as serious injury or illness, fatalities, regulatory action, etc.
- Proactively recommend changes to protect workers, and educate employees on how to prevent health problems through the use of safety training programs.
- Write job specific Safety plans; schedules jobsite visits and safety audits.
- Good interpersonal, customer services, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of team.
- Strategize with local management and staff to support and drive a culture that embraces safety, recognizes hazards, and takes action to minimize risk.
- Provide access to information, as needed to supervisors and other safety personnel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Will maintain current certification in OSHA 500, CPR, basic first aid and other required topics.
- Must be able to travel nationwide or region as needed. Overnight travel as needed to support position and duties.
- Must maintain professional interaction, appearances and communication within all levels of organization.
- Frequent travel required possibly exceeding 60%.
- Safety Related Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree
- Certified Safety Professional or equivalent certifications.
Required/Preferred Professional Experience:
- 5-7 years of Safety experience.
- Construction, oil & gas industry experience preferred
- Experience working in a highly decentralized organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety rules and regulations at all levels of government, including federal, state and local.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct safety audits and inspections to ensure compliance with occupational and environmental health and safety requirements.
- Ability to develop, update and manage workplace safety programs, procedures and policies.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong ability to influence.
- Experience with auditing processes and use of the information to affect change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and initiatives simultaneously.
- Possess the qualities of self-motivation and results-orientation.
- Strong knowledge of HSE regulations and ability to access and navigate regulatory databases.