Tufts Medical Center Senior Medical Technologist-Microbiology in Boston, Massachusetts
Senior Medical Technologist-Microbiology
Department: Lab: Microbiology
Schedule: Full-Time Regular
Shift: Day shift
Hours: 7-3:30 M-F, every 3rd weekend
- This position performs routine and specialized laboratory tests and related procedures. Performs technical work and problem solving at a high level of complexity. May direct and coordinate a small group of Technologists (generally 10 or fewer) and will in the absence of the Laboratory Supervisor, carry out supervisory functions.
· Performs tests and procedures requiring special skills, knowledge and judgment; also performs the functions of lower-classified personnel as needed.
· Records and reviews test results for significance to determine if additional testing or an alternative procedure is required, and does what is needed.
· Performs troubleshooting of instruments takes and records corrective action.
· On an assigned basis, may direct and coordinate the activities of an assigned group or shift to insure that all work is performed according to established procedures and that all standards for quality, service and safety are met.
· Participates in the evaluation of new procedures and analytical systems, modification of existing procedures, update of procedure manuals, evaluation of new products, and other investigative projects.
· Participates in the performance evaluation of subordinate personnel as required.
· Assists less experienced personnel by providing technical guidance and help in solving problems.
· Performs all functions that are required for the laboratory to meet the standards specified by accrediting agencies such as JCAHO and CAP
· Must have the ability to operate sophisticated and technical equipment and perform tests requiring analytical and interpretive skills with a high degree of accuracy.
· Must have interpersonal skills necessary to interact with peers, physicians, nurses, medical students, and fellows.
· Level of knowledge generally obtained through a Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology from an accredited college or university.
· ASCP or NCA certification required.
· Requires 2 years of satisfactory work experience in an accredited clinical laboratory, including 1 year in a laboratory with range and volume of testing, and types of instrumentation similar to this institution.